It's Halloween tomorrow! Are you PUMPED?
I guess I'm used to talking to groups of young children. For some reason, I'm just not feeling the Halloween vibe this year. Sure I have made some black cat cookies and some spiderweb cupcakes, but that was weeks ago. I need something new to rekindle my Halloween spirit.
This totally satisfied both my craving for a Halloween treat, and my sweet tooth craving. Which, if you have been following my blog for even a little bit, will know that my sweet tooth is constantly screaming at me to be satisfied.
Seems like I give in easily to a good screaming session. Which is why it is lucky I don't have kids.
And not only is this cake festive, it is chocolate too!!
I can't lie: I am a huge fan of chocolate. When I went to England, I came back with a shopping bag bulging with chocolate. Chocolate is so cheap there, it would be a crime not to buy a whole bag full. In fact, it may have been a crime not to buy more.
Speaking of my chocolate addiction, I was once challenged to not eat chocolate for 3 days. For a normal person, that would be the easiest thing in the world. But for me... let's just say I had to repeat that challenge over and over again.
So this cake was inevitable. I think I have made more chocolate cake than all other kinds of cake combined.
This cake was awesome. This week has been my experiments in whole wheat baking, and I must say, there has not been a baked good that I didn't like. The cake is not too sweet, but the frosting is there to add a bit of sweetness and festivity for those who need it.
Can we make chocolate cake a thing for Halloween? I think it should be the dessert for Halloween. Anyone with me?
So if you aren't busy shoveling down chocolate and candies, I hope you can find time to bake a couple of fun Halloween themed treats. Tis the season, right?
Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake with Orange Frosting
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- orange icing color (I mixed yellow and red gel icing color)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk and the vinegar. Set aside to "sour".
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until fully combined.
- Add the water to the "soured" milk.
- Slowly alternate between mixing in the the dry ingredients and the milk ingredients to the butter mixture until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Beat the frosting ingredients together and frost cooled cake.