Who knew working took so much out of you? I have been tired all week that I barely had the time to write on this humble little blog of mine. I am hoping to get into the swing of things soon, and will be posting more.
So I have been making food as of late. No, not desserts disguised as something I could replace dinner with, but actual savory stuff. Ever since I moved in with my boyfriend, he won't let me substitute sugar for dinner. Boo.
So I have been cooking with quinoa. A lot. It is my new favorite thing. And my new favorite casserole? Well, you're looking right at it.
Chicken, Broccoli and Quinoa Casserole
What you'll need:
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in thin strips
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 cups broccoli, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Generously grease a baking dish.
- For the sauce: In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk to a low boil. In a small bowl, whisk together the other 1/2 cup milk, chicken seasoning and flour until fully combined. Add the flour mixture to the boiling liquid and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- For the casserole: In a large bowl, mix together the sauce from step 2, 1 cup water and quinoa. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Place the chicken strips over the quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with salt and chili powder. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While the casserole is in the oven, steam the broccoli until tender. Set aside.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, and add the broccoli and up to 1 cup of water until the consistency is creamy and can be easily stirred in the pan. Sprinkle with the cheese, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum