15 Sep 2012

Cheesy Garlic Bread



The other day, I was at Safeway, strolling down the aisles, when I saw those pre-made garlic breads in the bakery section. You know those ones lathered in cheap margarine and garlic that would make your breath smell for days.

I used to love those things. They used to be my dirty little secret. But recently, I have lost my taste for them. I can't stand them now.  If I were offered one for free, I would smile and say "no thanks".




So as I was eying this hunk of bread, an employee walks by and tells me "oh wow, you have got to try our garlic bread, it is just fantastic. I could eat a whole thing in one sitting."

The whole time this guy was talking to me, my upper lip was lifting up in revulsion. I had no control over it, it just kept moving up! I'm hoping he didn't notice, but since I was so rude, I decided to make some garlic bread of my own. And I liked every bit of it.





What you'll need:

-1 loaf french bread, cut horizontaly
-1/3 cup butter, softened
-5 cloves garlic, minced
-3/4 cup parmesan cheese
-3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
-2 tablespoons italian seasoning


Directions:

    1.   Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
    2.   In a small bowl, combine the butter and garlic. Spread evenly on bread.
    3.   Sprinkle the top of the bread with both cheeses and the italian seasoning.
    4.   Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has completely melted.


You might also like:
Braided Spaghetti Bread 
Onion and Mizithra Cheese Bread 
Croissants 

22 comments:

  1. I like garlic bread.. great snack and also very good with beer.. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I was totally the same way with grocery store bread, I used to love it and could it half of a whole thing in one sitting... but after I learned to treat myself better, I never once looked at it again. I like what you did here... this looks perfect with some spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathleen , I'm guilty ...before ! lol Your garlic bread looks really delicious ! Love the generous cheese toppings .... will make this with my leftover bread ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm if anything can make garlic bread better it Ida healthy dose of cheese :)
    Love it!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. That garlic bread looks sinful! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade garlic bread is the best. It's been ages since I've made some - maybe time to do so again? The frozen Pepperidge Farm garlic bread is actually OK. That's my dirty little secret - whenever I want some and don't feel like making it, that's what I use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen those in the store and thought they might be nice to try, but I guess not. Your version looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank for sharing dear!!

    A post entirely dedicated to GLAM-SWEATSHIRT, full of pics and suggestions to amend the current trends to your style!
    On fashionismyroad NOW!

    Un post tutto dedicato alla GLAM-SWEATSHIRT, ricco di foto e suggerimenti per adattare il trend del momento al proprio stile!
    On fashionismyroad NOW!
    www.fashionismyroad.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word! This looks so delicious! The only thing that can make garlic bread even better is cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always so much happier with the foods like this that I make myself. I have a long list of those I used to buy all the time, and now I can't even think of eating the packaged version. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This garlic bread looks great! I would love to have it with a bowl of creamy soup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love garlic bread and I love cheese so this is wonderful for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. my husband loves this :) will surely try it..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love garlic bread! (Well, I really wonder who doesn't?) This looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homemade is always better! Looks like a great recipe, will try it with our letfover lasagna tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This garlic bread looks so good! Homemade garlic bread is always the best ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum. I can never resist garlic bread and this looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm with you! just make it our own!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aah! The one and only food which I would dig in no matter how health conscious I am :D Absolutely love these...look incredibly delicious. I am drooling (sigh!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Catheleen! We love garlic bread and once in a while I make it. It's always a big hit especially when there are kids. :) Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Garlic bread is always a big hit at our house too , who can resist the taste and crucnch of a homemade garlic bread - the kids love it too (especially as a "side" to spaghetti and meatballs).

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.