It's October y'all!!
And what is the best part about October? Halloween, of course!
It was actually a couple of months ago when I asked my boyfriend what his favorite holiday was, and he said Halloween. I'm not really sure why..he doesn't dress up, he doesn't go to parties, he doesn't even drink, and yet...he LOVES candy.
And since I am not skilled enough to make candy (and also because candy is so cheap this time of year that it would probably cost me more to make it than buy it) I opted for a novelty cookie.
Now this is my kind of cookie! Not too sweet, easy to make, looks hilarious, and is GREEN! What could be better, right? Maybe the addition of brandy extract for that grown-up feel. Hey, it's not only kids that can have fun on Halloween!
What you'll need:
-1 cup butter, softened
-1 cup icing sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon brandy extract
-2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder
+green food coloring
1. In a large bowl, beat together the butter, icing sugar, egg, vanilla and brandy extract until fully combined.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the flours and baking powder. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until fully combined. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 325˚F. Lightly spray baking sheets.
4. Form the dough into fingers, pinching each piece of dough in two places to create knuckles. Use the back of a paring knife to create the appearance of the surface of a knuckle.
5. Dip the almonds in the strawberry jam and press into the tip of each finger cookie.
6. Bake for around 20 minutes. If the cookies have lost shape, gently reform while still warm.